Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is posted in the commercial section where most people can deal with such an issue without much headache. For hobbyist with only one box of bees a queen-less situation makes for a bad beekeeping situation that is not easily solved.

We shipped out first packages for 2014 on UPS this week. Out of 110 queens shipped 3 queens were DOA as per the calls I received from the recipients. We reshipped the queens at our expense on the same day they called as is our standard procedure.

In some of the cases these shipments went to people without other bees where they did not have the option to snag a frame of brood and "hold" the bees until a replacement queen could arrive.

Anytime the bees are off the brood and are queen-less the acceptance rate drops every day they sit around waiting. This evening I saw a post with someone in this situation.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?295551-I-need-a-queen-ASAP

For a long time I thought we ought to consider throwing in a short piece of QMP as part of our standard package shipment. This way anyone who has a dead queen or a queen failure has their butts covered till a new one can be acquired. Would it be worth another buck a package to have this as a feature?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,161 Posts
You can cut the cost even more if you cut the QMP "tubes" into quarters and use 1/4 of one. It seems to be sufficient for a short term. In my experience, though, usually a dead queen is a sign there is one loose in the package.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts