Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.northcountrypublicradio....ean-fewer-bees-to-pollinate-fruit-come-spring

Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) visited Martino’s farm Thursday to promote aspects of the recently-passed Farm Bill that could assist fruit farmers recover their losses from the unusually cold winter. Schumer also called on the U.S. Department of Agriculture to quickly release more aid to orchard growers and beekeepers.

Schumer says the upstate New York will qualify for additional disaster assistance if the state applies for it.

now when all this aid becomes available all you unlucky beeks from N.Y. that are wintering down south need not apply:waiting:

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Mike just how much of that aid will affect commercial beekeepers in NY? I doubt they are going to give any money to the smaller folks. You know I think the latter two posts nailed it. I dont want Chuck Schumer monkeying around in my business.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Wlc be sure you let us know how much chuck helps you out. This winter has taken its toll but rest assured that i dont want chuck schumers help for anything. Most all the folks I know would rather the state stay out of their affairs. I most certainly don't want them trying to "help" me out, might as well just close up shop, seems like everything the govt gets involved In they screw up.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Anytime the govt. gives a business or a state or a local govt. or an individual any money they will tell how it is to be used. It will always come with regulations.
I'm helping a new beekeeper who got a hive grant through our local club from the Tn. Beekeepers Association. And the hive grant came with a set of regulation.
I had rather run my stuff the way I want to run it win loose or draw. But that is just me. certainly would not Dem. Sen. Schumer in the middle of it. But I am not from N.Y.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The knee-jerk anti-guv'mint ignorance is appalling.

Myself, I am proud of our civic accomplishments, and believe our government is of the people and for the people.

Beekeepers have been the beneficiaries of the ELAP (Emergency Livestock Assistance Program) subsidies since the 1990's. This was recently reauthorized in the new (bipartisan) farm bill.

The conditions and aid applications are accessible at: http://www.fsa.usda.gov/FSA/webapp?area=home&subject=diap&topic=elap

ELAP specifically benefits new and small farmers, by allowing them to bypass the crop-insurance requirement of larger established operations.

·
Banned
4,229 Posts
We all know how difficult this past winter has been so far in most of the country.

Cosequently, there will be those beekeeping operations that will need government assistance and will be relieved to receive it.

I know the deal in communities upstate. I'm usually the only guy on line paying cash at the local supermarket. The rest often use SNAP.

Times are still tough in upstate NY.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Jw, you've never had old chuck represent you but he would fit right in in California. Chuck is for one thing and that is total govt control, a little cash here to bait the line and then set the hook with telling you how you can manage your Colonies. If he were concerned about bees that much they would have funded the apiary inspection program that the state cut.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
The knee-jerk anti-guv'mint ignorance is appalling.

Myself, I am proud of our civic accomplishments, and believe our government is of the people and for the people.

I'll bet many don't agree with you, but you are entitled to your beliefs, as is everyone else.
ignorance and appalled?? come on now.

·
Banned
4,229 Posts
If your only choice for staying in business is ELAP, you're not going to care about politics.

ELAP isn't about personal politics, although some of you want to make it appear as if it is.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I'm not sure how a cold winter qualifies as an emergency or a disaster. There is a reason so many New Yorkers move from NY to Florida, and it isn't just the taxes.

How does Michael Palmer do it way up there in Vermont? I would think that it is at least as cold up there.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Schumer is very good playing politics. New Yorkers love to here him talk. If he can get more pork to come here. he will get it. He could care less about our bees. I can remember what the government did to our farmers 30 years ago. They paid them not to farm. look what happen too our farm industry. The average age of a farmer today is 60 yrs old. we dont need the government telling us how to keep bees. What we need is a tax cut.

·
Banned
4,229 Posts
ELAP is already part of the new farm bill.

So, it's a done deal. The state needs to apply for additional disaster assistance according to the OP.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.