Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently read about a business that does not filter their honey. They fill large containers with the honey and just let it sit, allowing whatever solids are there to eventually float to the top...then they draw the honey from the bottom of the barrell and say that it is as pure and clean as when the bees made it! Does anyone have any info on this? They are in another state. Is it legal to sell honey in Florida this way? :scratch:

"For breath is sweeter taken even as the last...
In places dear with gardens, fields and dogwood trees...
In forest stands of bamboo shoots...
Of ginger root and honey bees..."

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Nope. It's definately a different technique. Personally I run it (via gravity) through a simple filter that get's the obvious solids. After that the fine wax will float to the top and I skim it off. After that it's ready to bottle.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Most hobby beekeepers don't "filter" our honey. We "strain" it through a strainer. Plenty of bubbles and wax/pollen particles get through the strainer. So I let it sit for a couple of days and get very clear honey.

I suspect that if you just ran it from the extractor into a bottling bucket and let it sit that you would get clear honey in a few days. The cap of "foam" would just be thicker on top than if you "strained" it and then let it sit.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
It is almost the law in Florida. The honey law passed last year in FL does not allow anything but coarse filtering through a screen. I do not filter my honey but let it settle as described. I've been doing it that way since 1969. Draw pure honey off the bottom. If you want filtered sugar, buy it at the grocery! Wisconsin just passed a honey bill too. ABJ page 427.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses!

Is there a difference between filtering and straining the honey as far as process? Or is it just using the proper terminology?

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
With the filters the honey is pumped through under pressure. Depending on the coarseness of the filter, I think they would accomplish exactly the same thing.

Thanks for the responses!

Is there a difference between filtering and straining the honey as far as process? Or is it just using the proper terminology?

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Filtering usually involves heating the honey to thin it and then pumping it through fine filters to remove more of the pollen/wax. This process makes the shelf live longer before it starts to crystallize so stores can have it for sale longer before it becomes undesirable to consumers.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
AB is correct on the Florida guidelines, we strain then bottle from a "settling" tank. No heat or filter. To answer the question though, yes honey left to sit for a few days in buckets, tanks, etc the wax, bees, etc will float to the top and drained from the bottom is pure clean honey.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I used to do all comb honey, but the novelty wore off.

Last year I crushed and strained my comb honey. Per Michael Bush and Dennis Murell, I strained through a nylon bucket screen into a 5 gallon food grade bucket with 7/8" holes peppering the bottom. That bucket sat on another with a plastic honey gate at the bottom and a cut-out lid that cleared the above holes. I used a chrome paint mixer on a cordless drill to crush the comb in a third bucket and bottled off the bottom bucket. The first bucket I bottled right away and fines floated to the top in the jar. The next bucket I didn't get to for a couple days and the honey was noticeably clearer and the jars still have no fines on top.

I'm small scale with five hives and with those results I can't justify the cost of a hand crank extractor and really enjoy letting gravity do the work. The buckets came willingly from our local Chinese restaurant and the wax became sought after candles. The bees cleaned everything that didn't fit in the dishwasher including the wax.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts