Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your favorite/best seller in terms of size of honey jar? 1 Lb, 8 oz, 2 Lb?

And what do you charge for honey?

And, what TYPE of container do you use? Mason jar? Honey jar? Plastic bottles?

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I don't sell much retail - I primarily wholesale. But when I sell retail it is in wide mouth Mason Jars - Pint $10, Quart $20. Those are last year's prices, haven't priced anything out yet this year. I had a bad experience with plastic a few years ago when my Mother-In-Law tried to uncrystallize honey I had given her in the Microwave.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I am with andrew, I mostly wholesale but i retail about 20% of my honey or so. I prefer 1 and 2 pound glass classic glass jars. I used to sell the 8 oz. also, but demand wasnt that great for them, so I switched to bigger containers. I also sell a few quarts and gallons also, but most of my honey is sold in 5 gallon pails.

1lb-$8
2lb-$15
Quart- $18
gallon- $50
5 Gallon- $240

These are last years prices so things may change this year depending on container pricing, but i was planning on raising prices a few bucks anyways.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I have a few customers that insist on glass but response has been overwhelmingly positive for the 1lb inverted squeeze bottles with dripless tops.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Me too Charlie.

I haven't done the math lately so this is just my impression from sales. Most popular to least would be:
1 lb glass jar @ $54.00/cs of 12
12 oz squeeze Bear @ $39.00/cs of 12
1 lb Invert container (don't know whether to call it a jar or not) @ $54.00/cs of 12
2 lb glass jar @ $96.00/cs of 12
5 lb round glass jar @ $114.00/cs of 6
8 oz plastic jar @ $36.00/cs of 12
8 oz glass jar @ $72.00/cs of 24
5 gallon plastic Tote @ $210.00 each
5 gallon Bucket , raw and unstrained right out of the extractor, @ $150.00

Those are wholesale prices, of course. Direct store delivery. Retail here at the house is more.

·
Registered
608 Posts
My most popular is regular quart Mason jars @ $15.00.
Second is 1 pound squeeze bottles @ $6.00
Third is regular pint Mason jars @ $ 8.00
Least popular is the 12 ounce plastic bear @ $5.00....but the bear customers come back the following week for larger sizes so they are well worth keeping in the lineup.
I notice that my prices are less than some of you but it's a price both I and my customers are comfortable with.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
We sell honey is all sorts of containers. Simply because we like a large display in the store. the eye appeal gets the attention of tourists. we also by honey and package it so we have items like Tupelo honey, orange blossom, and buckwheat honey. Our two biggest sellers almost in equal numbers are our 6 oz. samplers, (The glass Octagonal jar) which we sell for $4.00 The jars make it a bit pricy as they figure to $.60 a piece. and the 1 pound inverted queenline squeeze bottle with dripless top.

However if I were not in a novelty type country market. Rather selling at a farm marker, swap meet environment, or Roadside stand, I would no hassle with a wide variety of containers and go with a one pound jar of some sort.

·
Registered
686 Posts
My top seller is a 2 lb. plastic container for $10. Next best is the 12 oz. honey bear for $5 and then the 2 oz. honey bears for $1.50. I have 1 lb. bottles for $6, but seldom sell them and I tried some 6 oz. bears last year, and didn't sell one.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
1 and 2# plastic bottles sell the best at markets, $5 $10

3# bottles and 1 gallon jugs sell better from the house. $15 and $45 a few 5 gallon buckets for $170

·
Registered
746 Posts
I sell to friends and neighbors using the Nextdoor web site to let people know when I have harvested. Fairly small scale, I probably sell a total of 100 lbs or so a year, enough to pay for the hobby!

Just finished selling some and the most popular by far was 1 lb inverted queenline squeeze bottles for $10 each. Distant second was both 12 oz bears ($8) and 12 oz hex jars ($10).

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the input folks!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, from $10 for half a pint to $5 for a pint. Quite a price range! I was thinking $10 for a pint jar filled with 16.2 oz of honey.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts