Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just realized about 3 gallons left over from last year appears to have fermented. In checking around I found sources talking about the benefits of it for digestive health. I have even found a website selling 1lb jars in New York. So I am considering selling what I have with that caveat but I am not able to locate any information on the legality of selling it in Ohio. Does anyone know if there is any laws governing that sale? I have reviewed the State Department of Agriculture site and all the labeling requirements but nothing addresses fermented honey.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
How will you bottle it?
Fermented honey will blow the lid off of a mason jar........don't ask how I know this LOL!

·
Registered
12,494 Posts
Fermentation will continue and the honey will eventually become disgusting.

The idea that eating it is good for your digestive health sounds like a marketing ploy to me. It would depend entirely on which bugs happened to be in there, but it is not impossible there could be some less than friendly ones.

You don't want to waste it, there are procedures for turning such honey into mead. I cannot give you a link but i did read about it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Can you still call it honey if it's fermented?
I thought, and I may be wrong, if over 18.5% WC it couldn't be called honey and it shouldn't have fermented below 18.5% WC.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Make mead, or sell it at half price to someone who wants it for mead.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I wouldn't sell it but it's great for baking and a teaspoon in a vodka and soda has incredible mental health benefits in my experience. J

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.