Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is my understanding that Queen excluders also restrict the movement of drones. Unlike Queens I thought drones needed regular access to the outside..at least for elimination but one also sees them flying about and hanging on the porch.

For that matter how do drones feed? Do they eat supplies within the hive or collect nectar outside but only for their personal use?

Is there an excluder that let's drones and workers pass while confining the Queen? If so could such a device be used to help prevent swarming?

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
A queen excluder between your brood supers and honey supers won't keep drones from leaving the hive?

The spaces in queen excluders are supposed to be too tight to allow queens to pass through the excluder. Drones are usually chubbier than queens, so they can't pass through an excluder either.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Is there an excluder that let's drones and workers pass while confining the Queen? If so could such a device be used to help prevent swarming?
It all depends on where your entrance is. A excluder above the brood and a bottom entrance, the drones fly. A excluder above the brood and a top entrance, they cannot. The simple fix to make sure there is an entrance below the excluder.

If you want to use an excluder as swarm prevention you may try a drone escape, but I do not know if the queen would leave with a swarm through the escape.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually what I was thinking about were those circular dial an entrance/exit hole wheel they sell for nuc box entrances. Totally open, Queen and I presume drone restricting and ventilation only. If you set that to Queen exclusion the workers can fly but any drones would be trapped inside:(

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
A queen excluder between your brood supers and honey supers won't keep drones from leaving the hive?

The spaces in queen excluders are supposed to be too tight to allow queens to pass through the excluder. Drones are usually chubbier than queens, so they can't pass through an excluder either.
Actually, if you configure your hives, like me, with only top and upper entrances, and place a queen excluder between the brood supers and honey supers, you need to provide a small entrance in the brood nest area, at least large enough for drones to exit from. And, no, there aren't any excluders that will confine queens and pass drones. It's sort of like using a sieve - the sieve will not pass anything larger than the sieve, so a queen sieve/excluder will only pass things that are smaller than a queen - drones are not smaller, but larger, so they can't pass through the excluder.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts