Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last summer I made a few splits from one hive with either queen cells or walk away type splits. These hives did very well for me and have some nice temperament, and have a lower mite count then the rest of my hives. I need to make maybe 10-15 cells for some nucs and was going to graft for the second time. My question is if I wan going to make queens would it be better to use the daughters eggs or the mothers eggs as I still have the original queen? Please share your thoughts and expertise, Thanks

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
If you still have the mother and all her characteristics are still very good, then I'd use her. The drone source may be slightly different from last summer, but from your description she seems proven to produce good queens. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Although you had some good daughters from her it is time to experiment a little on the second generation.
The mother queen will soon be expired so finding the exceptional daughter queens to graft from will ensure
you have some good genetic or not. Now you have 2 options to choose from once you find some good daughter
queens to graft. Wouldn't you want to broaden your queen selection genetic to further evaluate them?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
If it were me and the stats are as you say, I'd probably go for the mother to graft from. Mainly due to the genes that did pass down.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I would use the Mother too. If the Dtr. makes it through the winter and you still like what you are seeing from her then use the Dtr. next year.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Why not use both. You can keep track of which daughters come from which mothers, then you'll have even more information to assist in future decisions.
Joseph, would you mind sharing what you​ look for when making those 'future decisions' and which lines you choose for grafting.........Please. TIA :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts