Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I run a deep hive bottom with medium super on top. Then I add a medium super when I think I need to in the early spring. More if need be sometimes. This year it seems like lots of my hives have stopped laying in the deep but move up and lay in the first medium. Very frustrating. I thought I knew more about this bee stuff than that. What is wrong?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Nothing is wrong I suspect. The bees will lay their brood just under the honey. Where ever that is. As honey is stored the brood nest moves down.

Another scenerio. If you have screened bottoms they sometimes don't like to lay all the way to the bottom.
They want to control the air flow.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
Another scenerio. If you have screened bottoms they sometimes don't like to lay all the way to the bottom.
In the heat of the summer they have to raise the temp 5-10 degrees for brood, in the winter it could be 50 degrees. My guess is SBB in the summer has no effect on brood.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Nothing is wrong I suspect. The bees will lay their brood just under the honey. Where ever that is. As honey is stored the brood nest moves down.

I agree with Wolfer. I have 6 hives with SBB, and the queen tends to move up when a second box is available. Starting this late spring I am now equipping my SBB with slots under the screen to insert a solid sheet of plastic to keep things warmer in the bottom box during the spring and summer. I think that next year the queens will hopefully stay down in the lower box.

Phil

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
You are adding the mediums too soon, and there is not enough nectar flow coming in to keep the queen laying pushed down to the bottom.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts