Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Seek place to wax coat my boxes in Michigan

943 Views 10 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  RobPS
I suspect this is a long shot, but I’m wondering if there are any folks in SE Michigan (near Ann Arbor) who have the capability to dip new hive boxes in hot wax. I’ve read a lot of good things about hot wax sealing instead of paints and stains, but don’t know where I could achieve this.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
one note about Meghan, she is in I think it's Sweden for a year doing bee research.
Ahhh... gotcha. I wonder if anyone else at her place does the dipping? The video on the webpage showed a man doing the work. I signed up for their newsletter so hopefully they'll be doing some this Spring and I can get in on it. I would MUCH PREFER to wax-dip my new hardware instead of painting or staining, and it seems that I'd get the best protection possible by dipping brand new wood.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As an intermediate product between painting and waxing, you can try Pure Tung Oil.
The Real Milk Paint Co sells a very good product.

Thanks for this suggestion... I’m checking out their website and see the product you refer to. Have you considered their “Outdoor Defence Oil”? The description of that one seems to be spot on for bee boxes... Thoughts?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.