Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Checked in on the hives today and saw that they are in full on build up mode. Starting to draw out white wax, bringing in tons of pollen, and all have nice brood patterns.

Moved my two 5 over 5 deep nucs into a med/deep 10 frame and double deep 8 frame to compare which increases faster. Both were about on par with each other in the 5x5s. All the new frames added were undrawn foundationless.

Have a 5mframe nuc that is still building up. I'm actually surprised it has made it so far. It only had 1 deep frame, 3 medium frames and a frame feeder going into winter. Was a late swarm I caught and wanted to see if I could baby it through. They were starting to brood up on 2.5 of the frames and had the rest packed with pollen and nectar/syrup but think mostly nectar now since I haven't given much feed to them at all. It's amazing how little stores a nuc takes up in the winter. I removed the frame feeder and added a fully drawn deep frame from one of my other hives (that I then put the frame feeder in because they were a little lite on stores and had a bunch of brood about to be capped.

Think I'm going to try to get more of these NUCs ready for going into next winter as the 5 over 5's seem to have more bees, brood, and stores than any of the 10 frame deep/mediums. Will probably try a few more 5 frame nucs as well just to compare as the one I started with wasn't all that big to begin with and it's hard to tell anything with just 1 of something.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just completed going through 15 of my hives. One is pulling out wax and storing honey (likely from red maple). I placed another shallow on another hive. The year has started.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts