Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since last Friday I have seen six truckloads of bees heading south towards Houston. Wonder where they are going. Being in N. Texas we mostly grow corn and cotton. There is a large Watermelon farm by College Station. Other than that I am not sure where they would be heading. In the deep south valley there is a lot of growing. But this is not the highway to go to the valley. Must be some orchards or something between here and Houston. Or maybe southeast TX.

Do any of you send you’re bees to TX for contracts? I know some do to over winter and that’s why I figured I would see the trucks heading North and not South.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heading towards the Gulf coast & the chinese tallow trees I would presume.
I bet you are right. I remember hearing there are a bunch of those down there.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Maybe they are headed to Galveston for spring break! :doh:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Bees are coming from Calif. from the almonds and now are being trucked to Tx to be split and requeened before going to midwest for the honey crop.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe they are headed to Galveston for spring break! :doh:
That would be a sight to see. :)

Going back to FL maybe?
Could be. That is one way to get to FL from here. And probably they way I would go is cutting thru Houston.

Bees are coming from Calif. from the almonds and now are being trucked to Tx to be split and requeened before going to midwest for the honey crop.
Makes since to me. Didn't know almonds were over.

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
Didn't know almonds were over.
Almonds have been done for a week or so. I think our bees are the only ones left in Californiar.:rolleyes: Hoping to get our first truck heading towards home tomorrow (fingers crossed).

And yes, many are going to Texas for queens and splits before heading north for honey production. Some stay in Texas for Tallow, some try to get out of there before the bees put on that kind of weight.
Sheri

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Sheri! Saw 2 more today.

·
Registered
433 Posts
if the trucks have a bumper sticker that says "If they have possums in heaven I'm bringing my shotgun" they are probably heading to the south eastern part of our country is my guess...:D

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why don't you follow them to the truck stop and ask them where they are going?
I would but I see most of them while I am at work. My office over looks the highway so I get to see them coming and going. What I need to do is get a cb and talk to them as they are rolling thru. ;)

·
Registered
519 Posts
The tallow trees are thick here, and other than for honey, have exactly no purpose. They are a total menace.

I saw a truck of bees here, and the hives didn't have any screen wire stapled over the entrances, or anything. the inside of the net was covered with bees, plus had a couple of clusters on the outside of the back. There were South Dakota plates on the truck and trailer. Is this common, not to screen
the entrance?

·
Registered
464 Posts
I saw a truck of bees here, and the hives didn't have any screen wire stapled over the entrances, or anything. the inside of the net was covered with bees, plus had a couple of clusters on the outside of the back. There were South Dakota plates on the truck and trailer. Is this common, not to screen
the entrance?
People screen the entrance? I didn't know anyone still did that.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts