Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I added a second super two weeks ago and left them alone until today. I was surprised at the lack of comb and general absence of bees in the 2nd brood chamber. The lower super if full too. All 10 bottom frames have drawn comb and the bees entering the hive had tons of pollen in their baskets.

I was happy to find the queeen in frame number one of the lower but I am concerned about the lack of activity in the 2nd super.
I'm in the piedmont/sandhills area of NC.

Any input?
Thanks, Ed.

·
Registered
257 Posts
You can switch some (or half) of the full brood frames with some of the empties in the second brood box. They call it bating-up i think. When i do it i put the empties in between the full ones so that they draw them out nicely.
Deanna

------------------
"Criticism, like rain, should be gentle enough to nourish a man's growth without destroying his roots."

- Frank A. Clark -

·
Registered
130 Posts
So Dee, when you bait up like that and put the empties inbetween the brood do you ever lose any brood from the bees not being able to keep them warm enough since they are no longer side by side?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I would be careful splitting up the brood nest in a small hive in the spring. In the summer in a strong hive I don't find it to be a problem and, in fact, it's the best swarm prevention I know of to open up a brood nest and get them busy drwaing comb instead of preparing to swarm.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Dee.
Michael, What precautions should
I take? Move only one or two frames up and put them together in the middle?
I was told that bees like to move up. Should I just let them figure it out?
Ed.

·
Premium Member
8,315 Posts
I had a similar problem. A full older super, and a new one on top of that. They wouldn't draw according to my schedule, so I just swithched the supers. Yesterday they had started to draw pretty well. Could have been the switch, could have been they were about to start anyway. Without multiple hives to use as a control it's hard to tell, but at least they're making comb.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
This time of year in a strong hive, I'd just move a couple of frames of brood up into the next box and put some empty frames in their place. They shouldn't have any problems in a full deep box of bees keeping the brood warm.

My main reasons for doing this would be swarm prevention. They will be less likely to swarm with some room in the brood chamber.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
>They will be less likely to swarm with some room in the brood chamber.

That room can also be right next to the brood area too without disturbing their arrangment, putting the stores outside of the empty frame(s).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts