Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of whipping up a pollen patty in the blender with some water and spraying that on some HSC.

Has anyone tried that?

·
Registered
730 Posts
I have not tried that. My first thought is that it would be a SHB buffet. I have put syrup in them when I have introduced them, but I don't know if it made any difference in acceptance.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not tried that. My first thought is that it would be a SHB buffet. I have put syrup in them when I have introduced them, but I don't know if it made any difference in acceptance.
For now we don't have SHB's in my area. I wouldn't use syrup right now because of the robbing.

I've had mixed results with syrup in the past.

I've also had HSC that had brood raised in it once, and then it was left untouched by the bees...

A light spray of "Pollen Patty Water" might make them welcoming...

·
Registered
730 Posts
It is certainly worth a try. I'd like to know how it works out.

I too have had problems with bees using HSC, and not wanting to continue to use it. I have had to 'force' them on it by using queen excluders. It makes for tricky management, and not how I like to run my hives.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I used honey b healthy and sugarwater sprayed on my permacomb it helped But if you have anyother hive thats useing this foundation swap a frame that they've used and this hive should start useing it.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
They can be so fickle about HSC I had one hive the queen would lay in the bottom which was wax, and would lay in the super but wouldn't touch the HSC, this after being recessed on it. I have another the queen has no issues with laying in it....go figure.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I sprayed five frames with "Patty Water" and put them over a nuc.

I'll look at it next week to see what's going on.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So...how'd the pollen-patty water work out?
Hi Tara,

I missed seeing this posting....

Well, the bees completely cleaned the "patty juice" from the HSC, but after that they didn't touch it.

If I was to try again, I might:

• Make a thick slurry and smear that over the HSC.

• Or simply press some patty into the comb

• Or how about dusting the frames with a dry patty mix and then spraying them with syrup?

Anything that gets them to spend time in /on those cells is worth trying...

We need some more curious beeks to tinker around with this.

Warming the HSC in the oven and then dipping it into wax seems to be the best way to assure acceptance, but it's not easy for most of us. I did a few mini-frames that can mount into medium frames:

The idea was to be able to remove the mini frame and use it in a mating nuc. Or go from mating nuc to a hive... Vice-versa

·
Registered
98 Posts
Can beeswax be heated to a proper temperature and atomized? I understand the temp control would need to be very precise to prevent decomposition or fires.

Perhaps a very thin layer of 10:1 or 20:1 wax/honey mixture might encourage acceptance?

Dip coating may make the cell sizes too small and prevent acceptance.

Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
Amherst, Ohio

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can beeswax be heated to a proper temperature and atomized? I understand the temp control would need to be very precise to prevent decomposition or fires.

Perhaps a very thin layer of 10:1 or 20:1 wax/honey mixture might encourage acceptance?

Dip coating may make the cell sizes too small and prevent acceptance.

Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
Amherst, Ohio

You might want to read this:
http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223465

Somone (perhaps you?) would have to experiment with spraying wax. In any case I don't see how you would get wax and honey to "mix". The HSC would still need to be heated IMO.

And an airless sprayer would most likely be needed...

As I suggested:
We need some more curious beeks to tinker around with this.
Proper heating and temps allow a very thin coating of wax to be applied...

It worked two years ago...

·
Registered
246 Posts
From my experience, the bees generally just don't like it on HSC, no matter how much it's sprayed with syrup or pollen pattie and "candied up". Can't say as I blame them ...having to live on something entirely plastic and foreign to them. I've tried the HSC and have had them raise brood and store honey/pollen in it,....BUT.. if they have any drawn wax comb around they'll generally use that first and often reject even the darkened, brooded HSC. Also it's added weight makes it more of a hassle to deal with. The only plus is that it's small cell, and for many, the verdict is still out on the benefits of that.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
snip

Also it's added weight makes it more of a hassle to deal with. The only plus is that it's small cell, and for many, the verdict is still out on the benefits of that.
Denny,

How many frames of HSC might you have for sale?

PM me...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts