Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What ways do you use for sealing your top bar hive and have they been successful? Has anyone ever tried to use bees wax as a way to seal the outside of hive?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Sealing the entire outside of the TBH? Latex would seem more appropriate instead of all that advertising of scent. I'm doing 2 part epoxy on the new one. I'm going for a glazed rustic look ;)

·
Registered
306 Posts
I gave my first hive a beeswax/linseed oil stain. It kept it from rotting, but after almost five years it looked bad from all the black mold. All my hives are now painted with white exterior latex.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I painted the outside of my hive with exterior latex also. I didn't really seal it but there was a couple of cracks I put some duct tape on until the bees fixed them from the inside with propolis.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've tried the white exterior latex. But i've found that the pure white burns my eyes in the sun when i'm trying to watch the bees come and go. Since then i've switched to a light grey for painted hives, and for the woodgrained hives, CW Floods. I use the same latex paint to turn my roofing material (EDMP rubber) to a more reflective color than black

1 - 5 of 5 Posts