Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
sealed queen cups

I went through my hives today, and found that the new nuc was exactly the same as last week, no eggs, all the larvea dried up, no wax drawing etc.
I found a frame in another hive with 3 sealed queen cups, So I put the frame, bees and all in the new nuc hive. The other hive is booming, full frames of sealed brood, I saw eggs, larvea, don't know why they would be superseceding, guess they'll have to start over.
heres a short clip of the frame.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQRzT89qiDw&feature=youtu.be
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,936 Posts
Take pics of frames from the bad nuc. I would suspect EFB and no queen so do an EFB check and contact the nuc supplier right away. Also, that is a poorly drawn frame you put in. I assume they do not all look like that, right?
If that hive was superceding, you may have messed it up by removing the cells. But because your bad nuc may have EFB, leave it there. More experienced folks may have better guidance for you, but I would be concerned. J
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The hive that's superseceding is 2 deep 8 frame boxes almost all drawn out, with two empty supers on top, it is booming with bees, honey, frame after frame of sealed brood.

The nuc was brought to me from a guy an hour away, it looked like he just threw some empty frames, and a frame of larvea in a box, and shook some bees in it. Here's the link to that topic:
https://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?354459-Check-out-this-nuc

It looks the same today, as it did then, except the larvea is dried up looking. They drank half the syrup, but no comb drawn. It doesn't look like EFB, just dry larvea, not wet larvea, I'll try and get a pic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, heres the situation: " my folks went away on a weeks vacation" lol Will Smith
any way I went back in the hive and lo and behold I found a queen, I'm thinking the resources were so low she quit laying, and maybe I chilled a frame of brood ,by putting it in wrong spot, as someone else on here said.
So I marked it, first time ever. Heres a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAaMVwGTY1M

and secondly I scraped off those queen cups, and lo and behold, found a virgin queen.
I marked it and stuck it in a nuc with a couple frames of brood.

Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxDuJ8Y_lFk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,808 Posts
A couple things, your first post on this thread sounds like you are moving and changing things without knowing what's going on. It sounds like you took queen cells out of one hive and put them in another, not knowing if either one has a queen. You can mess up a lot by making moves without knowing what's up or what the move would accomplish.

Another observation, I ended up looking at a couple videos you have here, and one that you are pulling a single frame out of an upper box looks like a black plastic foundation frame with not much, or no wax on it. They are drawing out comb off the face of it, not following the foundation imprint. They are making a mess. I would remove what they have done, careful that no queen is on the frame when you do it, and use the wax to coat the foundation better. I have seen cheap foundation with virtually no wax on it. If you got it cheap, you probably have something like that.

I am not beating on you, just giving you some things to consider.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top