Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, and beekeeping, actually planning on starting with bees next spring. I have found a local club, and am planning to attend my first meeting with them in a couple of weeks. I have about 10 acres in the back that is not growing anything except weeds. I thought I would maybe start with about 2 acres at first, planting something that would be good for the bees next year. I live in the piney hills about 60 miles north of New Orleans. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Mark

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, and beekeeping, actually planning on starting with bees next spring. I have found a local club, and am planning to attend my first meeting with them in a couple of weeks. I have about 10 acres in the back that is not growing anything except weeds. I thought I would maybe start with about 2 acres at first, planting something that would be good for the bees next year. I live in the piney hills about 60 miles north of New Orleans. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Mark
Can't go wrong w/ hairy vetch in your area. Great spring flow most years.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Tallow? It's invasive but :rolleyes:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking about vetch, and maybe some type of clover. I don't think Tallow is a possibility, my Dad cleared that field by hand, He might come back to haunt me if I plant something like that. Thanks for the suggestions, any more?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just planted a test patch of buckwheat in 4 days it is about one inch high :) I am in central AL
supposed to provide 100-150 lbs of honey per acre, frost kills it so you might want to wait until spring
I am planting a clover mix this fall, durana, pink, and crimson mix found it at feed and seed store, plant in fall for spring bloom and
most all summer if I have my facts straight

1 - 5 of 5 Posts