Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting together advantech nucs. When I put together regular equipment I use countersunk screws and wood glue. I've seen lots of people recommending staples though. Would screws be a problem for advantech?

·
Registered
403 Posts
I used screws and glue and I believe that was a good choice for this material.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Thanks, if it works for you I guess I can resist going and getting a stapler from Harbor Freight. Do you countersink your screws?
Best to pre-drill and countersink for your screws, too. You want to snug them up flush but not crush the material.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Glue, pre-drill and countersink, and screw. If you have a stapler then a couple of staples will help align things while you pre-drill and screw, but I wouldn't run out and buy one just for that. OTOH, having a stapler is a gigantic time saver when it comes to assembling frames.

Pre-drilling and a countersink is a must for Advantech, or you will split your wood. Predrilled hole at the correct diameter will hold better than one that is not. When you drive the screw into a predrilled hole the screw threads cut a continuous spiral into the wood. When you drive a screw in without predrilling wood is crushed and pushed out of the way to make room for the screw shaft resulting in non-continuous thread engagement. Wood is also cracked and split, even if the splits don't come all the way to the surface, they are still there, leaving interior gaps in the thread gripping surface. Drill the shank clearance hole. If the screw doesn't have a shank, drill thread clearance for the top of the screw. This is a step a lot of people skip. But you want the screw to clamp the board down and having threads at the top of the screw digging in here can actually separate the joint instead of securing it and prevent you from tightening the joint before the screw shears wood fibers in the other piece lower down.

You can buy a drill bit that will drill the pilot hole, the shank clearance hole, and the countersink all at once at most home centers.

Attachments

·
Registered
561 Posts
I built 200+ 4 years ago I used Tb 2 glue and 7/16 staples. They have held up really well. They get moved quite a bit. I am building 120 more and will do them the same.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts