Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok the ones that i have theres a slot under the screen should i put something in there in times of really cold wind ?
My hives are sitting on blocks 6 or 8 inches off the ground.

·
Registered
508 Posts
You'll get different opinions, but people have told me to leave them open for moisture ventilation. Both of mine seem to be fine right now leaving it open.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
For this year, I have about 25 to 30 hives going into winter with a SBB. From what I have read on this forum, it is not the cold that gets them, but moisture from condensation dripping on them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive had screened bottoms for about three years but ive moved and they get more wind now havent had any problems in the past just curious about that.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
This is my second year with SBB and I wasn't certain whether to leave them open or closed either. I contacted a semi-commercial beek near me who has several years experience, and for our area, Southeast Missouri, he has much better luck closing them off in the winter. So I closed mine off. Several other places I've read suggest to close them off, because of earlier brood rearing in the spring, and cutting off drafts.

If you have an upper entrance/opening, that helps with condensation. So too does the mountain camp method of sugar feeding.
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sorry for the late reply.

I just have 6 hives, all with SBB's. They all also have reasonable wind barriers. However, having just a few hives, can afford to micromanage. Therefore, I leave them open, even in the coldest of cold. When it gets windy, however, will slide in the bottom to the SBB's. It's usually only for a day or so, until the cold front passes. The reason, is because of what's usually mentioned here and in literature, that the cluster has a harder time in wind than with cold, per se.

No scientific data to present, sorry.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Even though my winter is milder than some of you guys', I do slide a board under my SBBs. It does not make the hive completely air tight. There is still plenty of ventilation. As a matter of fact, yesterday since I knew no bees would be flying, I got on my hands and knees to peek in the front entrances. There is enough light coming in thru the SBB, even with the slat, that I can see how many dead bees are on the screen. The light tells me that there is enough ventilation. I also use an inner cover from Rossman that has a notch for airflow up top.

·
Registered
494 Posts
What's your purpose for using the SBBs? If it's for mite control, you should leave them closed. Mite loads increase as hive temps drop.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
When the mites fall off the host bee during grooming or other activities, the mite falls to the bottom of the hive. A solid bottom board, or closed sbb, allows the mite to hitch a ride on a passing bee. With a sbb that is open, the mite falls thru the screen to the ground and perishes.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
I'm in Ontario its been around -10c or 14f for the last two weeks. I put screened bottom boards on about 50 of my hives as a test this winter. I think as long as you don't have cold air blowing into the hive you are o.k. The real killer is moisture and condensation. To prevent this I insulate above the inner cover and have an upper entrance. Todd.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts