Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, i use screened bottoms 1/8"hardware built very nicely-- mostly for air flow-- have my hives in full sunlight to help with hive beetles, i observe ones in partial shade have many more beetles-- but in louisiana in summer it gets very hot so is a necessity to have proper air flow, the varroa fall is incidental in my belief but now with a early spring i notice loads of pollen coming in but to my horror i see lots on the ground-- seems as they walk around or in placing pollen in the comb they drop lots thru the screen. solutions? thnks

·
Registered
335 Posts
Do nothing. The same thing happens with a solid bottom, just you never get to see it. Surprising how much they actually lose isn't it? I've even scraped it off the screen and placed at the entrance to see if they would recycle it into the hive- they just moved it out of the way and ignored it.

David

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nice pics, ya i guess is part of the cycle-- just wished it was not so..... appreciate the responce. avery allen

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
That brings up the question if certain types of bottom boards should be built differently. I watched my bees from under my screened pallets, which have notched slatted racks as the entrance, and I saw that some bees actually flew the 1 1/2" from the screen up to the bottom of the slatted rack. Possibly screened BB's should have some ramps inside the entrance so that the bees could walk up to the bottom of the frames or slatted rack. This way they could avoid walkng on the screen. And that brings up the question of how much pollen is dropped walking on the screen and how much is dropped during handling up on the combs? We need some videos of the bees path after they enter the entrance.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Drobbins, I built bottom entrance screened boards where the entrance is of an "L" shape. Fully open for the bees while the mice cannot go through the corner of the "L". I only made 15 of them and it could be price prohibited for the large operation with hundreds of hives, but they certainly work well since they provide a "lobby" where the guards are quite effective also.
Daniel

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've got pictures and some drawings, but I have no idea how to post them. I can e-mail them to you.
Daniel

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nice point oliver, what i observe is most bees with pollen in especial seem to land on the box itself or land board and just walk straight up into the comb area-- ya some land and walk on the screen but i never saw but few loose pellets that way-- i conclude lots is dropped as they unload via the transfer to the comb itself.

·
Registered
335 Posts
aallen says; i conclude lots is dropped as they unload via the transfer to the comb itself.

I concur. This is easily observed when you look at the sticky board inserted under the SBB while monitoring for mite drops. The pollen bundles are pretty much randomly scattered from front to back and side to side. I don't recall noticing any more near the front indicating more pollen is lost near the front of the hive as they climb on the comb. If you are noticing an abundance of pollen in one location, I would suggest that next time you are going through the hive take a look at that area and see if your screen hasn't frayed or is somehow creating an obstruction.

David

1 - 12 of 12 Posts