Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use a SBB on all my hives, I have been using 1/8 inch wire and was wondering if 1/4 inch would be ok. It seem to me that the 1/8 is not large enough for the mites or small hive beetle to fall through.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
717 Posts
I wouldn't use #4 for anything except mice - #5 is used for pollen traps, so bees definitely get thru that. Some swear that SHB will 'fall' (squeeze) thru #8. If you can find some #6 - there was a recent post about a small quantity source, but I didn't follow-up. I have never had a bee get thru my #6 into my oil trap, but plenty of mites and SHB.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I agree with Ben...1/4 inch may not be effective to use and I would go with smaller screen.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
If bees can get through 1/4" screen, then the entire bottom of the hive would be open for robber bees to invade, and it present way too big an opening for the guard bees to defend. No way!

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
If bees can get through 1/4" screen, then the entire bottom of the hive would be open for robber bees to invade, and it present way too big an opening for the guard bees to defend. No way!
I used 1/4 inch to put over the holes in the tops of my hives in the feeders. The plan was to be able to pull the bottles without a suit on. So I used 1/4 and it did not work. They still flew out and got me. So I have redone them with 1/8 and now don't have the problem. Except I still use the suit because they come out the entrance to get me. :doh:

I ordered 2 rolls of 1/8 screen this evening 36 x 10' for a little over 40.00 delivered to the house. It will cover several screen bottoms.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LF87AE...lkid=c41a1dc55c8bcc4d9bd4ee6282e25360&mscbg=0
Thanks for the links. This is a good price. Better then I get at my local hardware store.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
I've used 1/2 mesh for screened bottoms before.

Then again, I've set hives on old freight pallets with large gaps between boards if I didn't have a bottom handy.

Some folks run hives with no floor also...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts