Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i must be going pure blind, ive looked at every bee suppier that i can find and i havent been able to find the screened bottom boards. I heard it was a dadant product but danged if I can find it on their site. Heck ive even got some that i bought last year from somebody lol, anybody know where to find them?
Tony

·
Super Moderator
1,901 Posts
Tony, I would highly reccomend that you look carefully at the quality of construction in selecting a sbb.
Some designs are really clever, but flimzy or poorly engineered to last the weather.
Here is the best that I've seen yet:
http://www.countryrubes.com/
If there is a better all around screened bottom board, I haven't seen it.
:cool:

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Greetings . . .

A true "quality SBB" will let you remove the sticky board from the BACK of hive. At bee meetings Ive seen some examples of very low grade construction and materials from several vendors. Only SBB I would buy is sold by Walter T. Kelly (I made mine

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have tried pretty much each of the kinds and have settled on the Apinovar style ones. I like these because they slide from the side.

They work great when setting hives on pallets. The landing board is sloped for water run-off.

Here is a link www.reineschapleau.wd1.net/articles/FAQ_APINOVAR_en.pdf . The have a great site with lots of test info on Varroa treatments.

I would just buy them but shipment from Canada to California would kill me.

I also put a 3/8" piece of wood just inside the entrance to provide a wind block. I tried to draw below

| |
[]_____ < ENTRANCE

Kieran

[ March 07, 2006, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: Murphy ]

·
Registered
760 Posts
Mine allow removal from the front or back of the hive, useful if I have them back to back on a pallet or too close to a tree or other structure to remove the sticky board from the back. Removal only from the back would be pretty limiting in many cases for me.

-Tim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts