Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to build some (ok alot) of package bee cages to produce package bees. Does anybody know the type of screen that is commonly used? I know its a 10 mesh or smaller screen but of what type of material and where could I get some?

Thanks,

Willie

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
I think wire screen door screen is typical. I've seen some with the fiberglass kind, but that can get a hole poked in it and then what? A lot of it is black and some of it is galvanized. Since you're not planning for the long term, the cheapest would probably be best... Do you have a cage to look at? Over they years they have been perfected to be easy to build and cheap to make. You might want a sample to work from. Most look like they are made from resawn boards that are cut down to 3/8" thick.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Michael,

I actually would like to do it long term so I don't have to keep building them. Poking a hole is exactly the problem I am trying to avoid. Angry customers aren't fun!

Where the heck do you buy coated galvanized screen that small in the U.S? Found it in China, but I want to buy US made if I can. I have a bunch of different samples of cages I am working with to get something that is similar and better. The best wood I could find was from a local sawmill that produces pallet boards and they are almost the perfect size. I just have to run them through my planner once to get it to perfect thickness.

Willie

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Why build them? They are super cheap to buy. You can get them from Rossman's.

Typically they run a 2x through a resaw to get the 3/8th thick boards.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have alot of free wood and its a good winter project when I am building equipment. I have the canning machine and all that, plus I'm a beekeeper so I gotta be cheap. With pretty much a full wood shop I might as well.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I recall that not too long ago Wilbanks bought in such large quantities that he sold screening to other package bee suppliers. Check with them. If not successful, let me know.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Lloyd,

Thanks for the tip! I called they said they didn't sell it anymore but they did tell me where they got it and what they used.

Thank you everybody for the help!

Willie

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
The ones I bought had a double layer of nylon or similar mesh. Bees couldn't sting through it. It was a tough material.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts