Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size hardware cloth are you all using on your screened bottom board. I have read 1/8 inch and have also heard bigger so debri (dead bees and such) fall through. 1/8inch is hard to find around here but 1/4 inch is common. Wondering if that would be ok or if there would be any downfalls to using 1/4 inch. Thanks, Bruce

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
if one uses any bigger than #8 robber bees and yellowjackets can get in forcing them to defend the whole bottom. only the strongest hives can do that and they will all get very defensive.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
#8 hardware cloth has 8 wires per inch, they aren't actually 1/8" openings because the wires (diameter varies) take up some of the space of the inch. Depending on the wire diameter the space between the wires varies accordingly. 1/4" is actually #4 hardware cloth and the openings are less than 1/4" depending on the diameter of the wire used to make the hardware cloth.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
#4 [1/4"] is to large, and #8 [1/8" is to small for the small hive beetles ['shb'] to pass through with my oil trays]; which is all that I have found available locally. I used the #8 [but so far have not had problems with shb], but would prefer #6 or #7 if I could find it locally or [reasonably priced in smaller quantity].

Any suggestions on where I can find #6 or #7 reasonably priced and in shorter lenghths would be appreciated.

Danny

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
Yep 7 would bee great but its like hunting chickens teeth, I got some last year but its not true 7 its 7x8 oh I did find some at one bee supply but they wanted $315.00 for the roll and would not cut it, just a little salty for me.
I did find #8 at a local ACE (they ordered it for me) and the SHBs go through the 8 in my obersavation hive, they hide from the bees in the feeder holes:(

·
Registered
323 Posts
What size hardware cloth are you all using on your screened bottom board. I have read 1/8 inch and have also heard bigger so debri (dead bees and such) fall through. 1/8inch is hard to find around here but 1/4 inch is common. Wondering if that would be ok or if there would be any downfalls to using 1/4 inch. Thanks, Bruce
1/4 inch is too big...it will allow the bees to pass through and defeat the purpose of the screen. 1/8 inch is what you need.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts