Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two traps set out at the moment. One is just a 10 frame deep set on the roof of my shed. I have old comb in there and swarm commander. The trap is getting a lot of scout activity, but so far no bees have moved in. I am using a screened bottom board setup, but I have the white IPM insert in there to close things off.

I personally prefer solid bottom boards, but I am using what I have for the traps.

Do you think the closed off screen bottom boards are a turn off for the bees?

Sky Cloud Silo Wood Storage tank

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,571 Posts
If it's dark enough in the box, with the insert, then you're fine and I wouldn't worry about it. Make sure you have an entrance reducer on to make it feel extra "cozy".

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it's dark enough in the box, with the insert, then you're fine and I wouldn't worry about it. Make sure you have an entrance reducer on to make it feel extra "cozy".
Thanks, yes I do have a reducer. I have seen 15-20 bees checking it out AND I do know there is someone with hives around. I put it on top of my shed b/c I used to get bees trying to get into the shed as that's where I kept my bee hive equipment, so they already knew the spot.

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
If it's dark enough in the box, with the insert,
Those inserts let too much light through (the white plastic ones).
As for me, I'd just slide in a sheet of corrugated cardboard - that should keep it dark.
Might as well, melt some wax/propolis onto it too.

Keep in mind, some desperate bees even home directly on open branches.
But of course, you'd rather improve your chances and do better than a branch.

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,571 Posts
My inserts are all stained and black for years of use. So I've never had an issue.

But if it's new and bright white then yes, GregB has good points.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
5,072 Posts
In that you're thinking bees would reject it as a new homesite?
yes

they think it is too big of an opening to defend, they do not under stand "screen" they understand light and air.

sometimes a package will leave a box with Screened BB there are plenty examples.

try if you wish, IMO Screen BBs will catch less swarms than solid BBs

GG

1 - 9 of 9 Posts