Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several medium frames which were drawn nicely back-when. Since being used, the comb on them is now just a few chunks here and there, mostly hanging from the frames' top bars. Some have wires and others don't. I'd left the frames out overnight a few times, and lousy rampaging raccoons feasted.

I'm wondering: to re-use them, should I scrape off the remaining comb bits/chunks and wires, or leave as-is (and let the bees do something with them -- maybe)?

Thx for any advice ....

Mitch

·
Registered
914 Posts
Mitch,

If you just leave them and put them back in the hive, I think you will be disappointed with the result. I would suggest that you clean out all of the old wax and wire, and replace both foundation and wire and let the bees draw out new perfect comb. This time of the year they will get after it right away.

Cheers,
Steve

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx, Steve --most likely a good idea. I was wondering if the bees would maybe make a mess of what was already a mess .... Stupid raccoons -- but stupid me, more, for letting 'em have access!

Mitch

·
Registered
914 Posts
Mitch,

Something to consider. Electric fences work well for my bears, and if well designed I'm sure would work well for your *****. Good luck with all!

Steve

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mitch,

Something to consider. Electric fences work well for my bears, and if well designed I'm sure would work well for your *****. Good luck with all!

Steve
Obrigado, Steve -- in my case, the '***** just strolled up to the bucket of foundation-with-comb I'd moronically left near my back door, and had at the goods. As for the hives: I've never (in my 4 years) -- so far -- had any mammal vermin attack my hives. Insect vermin (SHB's, moths, ants), yeah (lots), but that's it.

Best-o-luck with your girls, too. Here, I'm dealing maybe w/ too much of a good thing: I think I may have had 3 (three) swarms move into my 3 bait hives today. Probably came from my 3 developed hives (I wasn't here for only 3 hours this afternoon). And that means buying more deeps/frames/etc to accommodate. "Be careful what you wish for" ....

Mitch

1 - 5 of 5 Posts