Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During all my building prepping etc. I have a few scrape foundation sheets. Would it do any good to set them by the hives and let the bee's chew on them? Any benefit or a waste of time?

Thanks
Greg

·
Registered
8,056 Posts
I doubt the bees would do much with them but it would be pretty harmless to try. The bees seem to reuse wax from inside the colony when they have a project needing done and no wax being generated from hive expansion. That is why dark stained wax shows up in strange to me places.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
>Would it do any good to set them by the hives and let the bee's chew on them? Any benefit or a waste of time?

A waste of your time and your wax. The bees will not chew on them. Bees only recycle wax in the hive when they have no nectar coming in and I've never seen the gather it otherwise. I have seen them steal propolis from old equipment, but never wax.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Michael,

Perhaps you can answer this for me.

I took an empty frame, installed some hardware cloth into it. I then took some old comb pieces I had and melted them onto the hardware cloth on both sides. I also rubbed wax all over the hardware cloth.

My idea is to insert this frame in hopes the bees will fill it out, using the wax I melted onto the frame/hardware cloth as a starting point in building.

Do you think this is a wasted effort?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
> My idea is to insert this frame in hopes the bees will fill it out, using the wax I melted onto the frame/hardware cloth as a starting point in building.
> Do you think this is a wasted effort?

What are you hoping to accomplish? The hardware cloth will certainly reinforce the comb. The wax will certainly entice them to build comb there. The bees will likely reuse the wax, but it is unlikely it will buy them anything in terms of time or energy as bees are making wax in a flow anyway.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was bored last night and decided to make a poor man's foundation using a little burr comb.
I also wanted to see how a hardware cloth reinforced frame works out, compared to plastic and conventional wooden.

Thanks for your response!
IMG_20140619_165054.jpg
IMG_20140619_165059.jpg

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Let us know how it works out and post more photos as they work it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts