Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago I sent out a nuc hive as a swarm trap and baited it with swarm commander on Tuesday. Today I installed two packages of bees in hives that are about 40'-50' from the nuc/swarm trap. I'm seeing a "fair" bit of activity at the nuc/swarm trap and am wondering if those are scout bees or my package bees looking at alternative home? Should I take down the nuc/swarm trap?

Kevin

·
Registered
373 Posts
No. Leave it set and put a frame of old comb in it. If it is bees from your pkg and you catch them you haven't lost anything. If it's scouts from an outside hive and you catch it you are +1.

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
625 Posts
Great Info !
exactly, you would not be out of anything and from what I have been hearing of new Beeks with their new bees leaving this is a great idea !
I think I will do this myself.

·
Registered
363 Posts
The swarm commander is attractive to bees in general. Leave those bait hives up! Those bees are probably from another hive, when a colony swarms or absconds, they usually like to go at least 1000 feet away from the original location. They can cluster much closer, but their final home may be a long way away. I hope you end up with two colonies!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts