Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read that a swarm leaves the hive, and then scouts head out looking for a new home. I've also read that scouts go out ahead of the swarm leaving the hive.

Do we know how far ahead of swarming that scout bees are looking at possible locations?

Thanks,

Adam

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Having spent many hours watching the swarm traps in my backyard I know that scouts precede the swarm every time. Else, how would they know where to go? Usually I'll get several scout bees checking out the premises, then they'll leave and bring back 50-75 others. These go through the trap thoroughly for an hour or two and then everyone disappears. 1-2 hours later the swarm comes in. I've had them stop short in another tree in my yard for a few hours or overnight, but they eventually end up in the trap. My son and I were working in the garage one day when a bunch of bees came in and started messing around a couple nuc boxes in the garage. Eventually we had maybe 100 bees working the nucs and after a while they all left. I knew what was coming so we set a nuc on my truck toolbox with a swarm lure in it. 30 minutes later a big swarm showed up and went right in the box.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts