Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a double deep 5 frame nuc up in a tree about 10ft. It has 3old drawn out frames with two foundation frames, I did not put any frames in the bottom nuc, thinking I will have time to move it and add frames once they move in. I baited it with Lemon Grass oil and Queen juice. I have had scout bees checking it out now for 8-9days. They fly in and out and I have even saw them fighting on the landing board. Any idea what they are doing? I'm anxiously waiting for a swarm to move in. They are not robbing out the frames they are bone dry old brood frames.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Odds are if you see the fighting activity, that's the scouts laying claims to that swarm box and they are fighting off other scouts from different hives. Keep your eyes on the hive because they've found a home now they're just waiting to move in! Good luck!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
If you see a steady flow of traffic and some are bringing in pollen, you probably have a swarm. You may have to take a look to verify. If you open it up, I suggest you do it fairly early, and wear protection.

Phil

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a bunch of scout bees today! I thought for sure they had moved in until I cracked the lid, no swarm just a bunch of bees looking around in there. They had pulled out the Q tip I had the queen juice on. They were still hanging around until almost dark so hopefully they will move in tomorrow. I will keep you guys updated

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well finally it happened! I had a big prime swarm move in yesterday. I posted this question back on the 10th, I had a lot of traffic then I thought for sure a swarm would move in any day but, slowly the traffic subsided. I had a few bees around the entrance ever since but, over the past couple days the traffic picked back up and yesterday morning when I came home from work there was a nice swarm on the box. I moved them last night and reset the trap. https://www.facebook.com/519851231447309/photos/pcb.568547206577711/568547153244383/?type=1&theater

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just caught another one in the same location! I was very surprised to see so much traffic at the nuc so I climbed up the ladder and sure enough another swarm had moved in. I would imagine that should just about wrap up our swarm season. That was the only swarm trap I had out I guess next year I should put out a few more.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had the same issue yesterday, bees in and out and fighting at the entrance. I checked it today and not one bee. I did refresh the entrance yesterday with LGO so maybe they were there for that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts