Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm Scott, started watching bee cutout videos after removing a Bald faced hornets nest from my eaves while doing a roof a couple of seasons ago. As I watched more and more, I started watching lectures, and things escalated. I'm nearly 60, a retired engineer and I see the internet as free college. I've learned a good amount about auto diagnostics, Machiine shop practice, CNC machinery, the list goes on for a ways, ending with beekeeping. I'm not honey fan, in fact I'm a diabetic, I don't figure on making any money, I know better than to figure I'm going to be the honeybee baron of Elbridge NY. I'm just interested and it seems like an entertaining pastime.
Having watched those who are successful in beekeeping, I decided to give it a try, but promised myself to keep it cheap as possible without skimping on the important stuff.
As you can tell by now, I tend to run on on Youtube comments, question responses, and forum Posts.

I've got a couple of flow copies, which came as unassembled single brood hives. I would have liked to support the Flow company, but the prices and shipping are well outside of my financial means.

To the kits, I'm adding a couple of deeps, (highly recommended up here in the cold climate so I understand) and I'll end up with 2 hives, each set up with 2 10 frame deep brood boxes, a single 7 frame Flow super, a solid base, bamboo queen excluder, and cool roof style top. I may add screened drawer type bases, but they are $37 each and I decided to wait on them until I catch some bees (in keeping with the economy startup, swarm catching is is the plan). All up I'm going to have less in my whole operation than the cost of one genuine flow hive. The word is the Flow copies work well, and I can fall back on old school if there is a problem. I'm not expecting much honey the 1st season anyway, just looking to learn the ropes and not kill the bees.
I'm just getting ready to place my order for 50 frames, the extra couple of deep 10's, a good smoker, 2 feeders (division board style), and 50 sheets of wax foundation. That's going to cost about $300 and will put me around $750 for the whole show, excluding the Ryobi narrow gauge stapler I just ordered, that's in support of my kitchen ceiling install anyway (that's my story anyway).
OK, I've yapped on enough, if anybody is still reading, hope to see you about, I joined up over at the Dirtrooster forum as well, same screen name.
I'm sure I'll have questions as swarm time up here in Central NY approaches. In the meantime, I'll be putting frames together, reading the forum and learning what I can.
Thanks for having me.
Scott

·
Registered
58 Posts
Welcome aboard, Scott. Lots of great folks here and an endless supply of experience so don't hesitate to ask questions. Being and engineer myself (still practicing), I can relate to that unquenchable thirst for knowledge. You stay healthy up there in NY. Good luck with your bees and keep us posted on your journey.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Welcome to Beesource, Scott. As a fellow engineer I expect you will find bees both satisfying (due to their orderly and efficient manner of doing things) and maddening (due to the fact that they sometimes just inexplicably do bee-stuff).

I'll look forward to reading about how your beekeeping adventure unfolds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all who replied!
I see the engineering community well represented in our hobby, as WaverlyBees mentioned, maybe it's because we sometimes do things just for the learning of them, which is why I decided to give this a go.

I'm currently waiting on my order from Dadent to wrap up the hive assemblies they've got a page up they may be shipping slow, and they seem to be doing so, better than closed I guess. I'm doing a little power carving to decorate my boxes, and may build a couple Nuc boxes for swarm traps, early on housing, and to have on hand in case I hear of a swarm nearby that needs removing (I hate it when that happens). Anyway. I'll keep posting as I go, and don't be afraid to tell me if I'm doing it wrong or you do it different.
Stay well folks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts