Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered queens from HawaiiHoneybees. I told him to ship the last of March. I then called his cell phone back, and left a message to please ship the 1st of March. He never returned my call, or e-mailed me. I'm thinking, (hopeing now) to get queens maybe next week. I did a cut out, 1-strong hive almost 2-week ago, and have been feeding heavly, it has 1-deep, and one super, eggs are present. Another hive is very strong, 2-story deep, with 1-shallow super, then another strong hive. all 3-hives have excluders above the brood. I sucessfuly fed raw honey the 1st of January. Honey cells are capped in the 2-existing hives I thought tomorrow, i would feed all 3-hives. Is this a good idea, or will they just store it in the shallow supers?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Fed all 3 hives today using top feeders. My stroghest hive is a two story. I reversed the brood hives, the bottom was feather lite. I will check on there feed tomorrow. There is so many bees flying, and in hive they might empty the frame feeder overnight. I use a wood float in the feeder, covered with pine needles to help keep from looseing bees to drowning. I'm feeding a 1/1 sugar syrup. The other 2-feeders I bought from a supplier in Canada. It is a round feeder that looks like a bunt't cake pan, with a cup over the hole to let the bees go up through the middle, and to start feeding. it workes really well, except no more than a couple a dozen bees can feed at one time when it full. Michael Bush put me on to this type feeder, there is no drowned bees though. I thought after splithing a full shallow super of capped honey last january with the other hive, it would see them into spring. I thought wrong on that assuption.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts