Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my own woodshop so I'm making a lot of my hive parts for next spring....which will be my first year....I'm wanting to buy rolls of screening for bottom boards....does anyone have a suggestion as to where I can buy this item ? 1/8 inch squares.....

·
Registered
32 Posts
The Ace Hardware in my area was willing to order in a roll of 1/8" hardware cloth (why wire mesh is called cloth I'll never know) and sell it to me by the foot.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like the looks of that mesh from Jackson wire....36 inches wide..shud be able the cut it 12 inches wide for each bottom board....is that how you are doing it ?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yes, I followed the plans from the Build It Yourself Section of this forum...
Could you please point me to that section?? I looked under all the different forum types (General, Queen rearing, Beekeeping 101, etc) but I don't see it as a specifc forum. Is there another area I should be looking?

Thanks!

·
Registered
134 Posts
A roll of hardware cloth is heavy. Shipping charges will be high. Wait until FREE shipping offers (December) from Brushy Mountain and order then.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
ACE is the palce if you find the right one, one told me they cant get it another said on Monday it will bee here Wed. better order soon it went up 50 bux a roll in a year:(

Oh and no shipping

·
Registered
144 Posts
Theres really some junk out there in hardware cloth. Some of the material is dipped in something that is either lead of contains lead. Some of the others the mesh is not straight and it is difficult to work with. That being said the mill supply store Walter A Wood in Rossville Ga, the cloth is very good quality. If you have a mill supply in your area you should look at what they have. What I mean about the mesh not being straight is that if you start cutting is a square when you get to the other end it should be a straight line. Ron Hawkins

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thank you all for those replies....I take it that you all are building your own hive bodies and parts (other than the frames)....I'd be interested to know if you all are using box joints for the hive bodies, or have any of you gone to cutting a rabbet in each end of the boards....??

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have been using rabbet joints for everything. Don't know if they are as good as the finger joints, but they are easier for me to make. I glue everything with titebond II and nail it. So far so good, but they have only been in the weather for 4 months.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have made hive bodies and supers with booth kind of joints.box joints are a little harder to make but i think over time it will not work lose or get out of square as bad as rabbit joints even if all are glued and screwed together.

·
Registered
108 Posts
have you tried the Do it Best hardware site ? that's where I found the 1/8" screen that I used. they have a network of local stores that they will ship to so you can pick it up. then you don't have to pay shipping.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Grainger.com for the wire mesh, they will drop ship to the house via UPS.

Box joint on the table saw. I set up a box joint jig with an old miter and keep it on the wall. It's fairly easy to do those box joints just a little time consuming compared to a rabbit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts