Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question: when using a SBB, is a slatted rack advisable? overkill? how about for a 1st-year colony?

------------------
Ben Brewcat brewing in Lyons, CO

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I use them together all the time. Betterbee sells them with the racks going paralell with the frames and makes them for both 9 frame and 10 frame configurations so the slat is under the frame. I haven't had any that way. Mine all run the other way. Most are the ones Betterbee was selling out to go to the other way.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool. So with both, just keep the slider board of the SBB in place 'till overnight temps get up to 50 or so to not over-ventilate?

------------------
Ben Brewcat brewing in Lyons, CO

·
Registered
327 Posts
Brewcat, I don't have any experience with the combination of both, but I must interject here, just to help clear up the misconception that you might have about ventilation. SBB's do not help to ventilate the hive.

Picture the hive as a chimney, if you cap off a chimney where is the smoke going to go? You can fan the fireplace all you want, but the smoke that has risen to the top will not "ventilate" out the bottom. In order to ventilate a hive it must have an opening at the top, otherwise the heat, CO2 and humidity will be trapped.

So as not to contaminate this thread even more, please respond to my theory in the appropriate thread.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
The sbb is a way to get stumbling mites out of the hive. They can jump and climb pretty well. If they land on the slats, it seems to me they would just climb back up. On the chimney effect: I have seen a beard of bees hanging out and removed the slide in tray. The bees dissapear quickly. True, I keep miller feeders on year round so the top is not exactly air tight, but what is?

Dickm

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
>SBB's do not help to ventilate the hive.

Whoa there! Screened bottom boards don't help ventilate a hive? It's my turn to interject now. Just how do you come to that conclusion? When a hive is totaly open at the bottom, especially when elevated with free flowing air all about, it is exposed to so much air that there is a risk of chilling not only the brood but the entire colony as well, given the time of year. Granted the third and fourth box will get less draft than the lower ones, but the air still exchanges when the bottom is totaly open.

The only merit I can see to your synopsis is IF your hive is setting on a solid stand that does not let air circulate, like the screens that are sold which are intended to set on a standard bottom board.

We have too much wind here to keep the SBB open all year around. (Something about OK and NE sucking and blowing) In areas of low humidity top ventilation is not as necessary as in places with high humidity.

I tend to let the bees chose their own amount of ventilation. They are given a top entrance or vent hole and they propolize it shut to their own liking. All one has to do is study where bees tend to live in nature. In trees they tend to close up during the winter and do fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts