Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be treating with OA when the weather cooperates and have a couple questions regarding the screened bottom board. When vaporizing, could the oxalic acid corrode the screen? Also, what do you use to keep the vapor inside of the hive with the a top screen and bottom screen?

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
I will be treating with OA when the weather cooperates and have a couple questions regarding the screened bottom board. When vaporizing, could the oxalic acid corrode the screen? Also, what do you use to keep the vapor inside of the hive with the a top screen and bottom screen?
It has been suggested that an open bottom screen dilutes the OA plume and that a screen above catches and blocks some of it from going up into the frames.

Depending on what type of applicator you have, it might be a consideration to treat from the top of the hive with the OA being driven down through the frames. There are threads here on the forum on treating from the top. I believe Biermann even makes a unit especially for that but with a bit of creativity any could be made to work.

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,157 Posts
I use the standard #8 hardware cloth on my hives and have been treating with OAV for years. I haven't noticed any corrosion from OAV, or much anything.

I have mite boards under the screens with a wood backing so I don't get much leakage. You'll likely have to come up with a method to temporarily close your screens. Before I used the mite boards, with open screens, I'd actually lift the hive onto some signboard...which quickly had me ordering the mite boards. Much easier. I use the Mann Lake ones.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I have some thin luan that I slide under the hives. If hives are heavy, I have a helper. Just need to lift from the rear and then shove it under.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.