Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Sunday afternoon I was at the hives and found one hive queenless and pretty dwindled down, 4 frames of bees. I decided to newspaper combine to a strong hive. I used 2 layers, and due to the size of the newspaper it came to 4 sheet. I put in a couple slits here and there, then put the queenless box on top.

Went back this morning, Thursday, and took the lid off the hive. I was puzzled thinking I was in the wrong hive, but there was a 1" rim of newspaper outside the boxes. There was not one single bit of newspaper inside. In front of the hive were a bunch of small pieces of newspaper. But nothing inside. I even tipped up the box to check--nothing.

I've done many combines this way and never have seen them remove all the paper like they did this time.
Is this typical?

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
It is almost hard to believe that you have never experienced the before. With the exception of combining two week hives, This is what I usually see. The girls are generally marvelous house keepers

·
Registered
168 Posts
I was in an out yard last week and had a large queenless hive that I re-queened with a small nuc. I did not have any newspaper so I used the only thing I could find...a thick paper grocery bag. I was a bit worried about the thickness of the paper hindering them but they had no problem disposing it all.

This is all that was left.

Nicely shredded paper under my screened bottom board

·
Registered
161 Posts
I was in an out yard last week and had a large queenless hive that I re-queened with a small nuc. I did not have any newspaper so I used the only thing I could find...a thick paper grocery bag. I was a bit worried about the thickness of the paper hindering them but they had no problem disposing it all.

This is all that was left.

Nicely shredded paper under my screened bottom board

Those photos are awesome. I had no idea. I couldn't figure out what I was looking at until you said it. Seems like we should be able to make use of that talent in some way. LOL

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ryan, that looks like prime smoker material.

Tenbears, I usuallly combine to smaller hive when I need to combine. I'm not sure why I picked a strong hive this time but I'm glad I did, for the experience. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts