Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up with the Palmetto Bloom here in Northeast Florida? I haven't see any bloom in my area yet this year. This stuff blooms in May, June normally. But with the longer, colder winter i figured it would bloom late. I've been all out in the woods around here and seen no sign of a bloom this year. You can see where the bloom spike from previous years. No this year bloom! I have never not seen it bloom! :s

This is very disappointing!!!!!!!!!!!:doh::doh:

Please Reply if you have any sightings!

Thanks,

-Drew

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Down here in central FL the bloom was short lived, 2 weeks at most, very weak as far as the number of blooming stalks on the trees. The bees did not put much if any honey on at all. I think it was a combo of longer colder winter and lack of rain this spring. 2 years in a row now here that palmetto has flopped. Last year we got 24 inches of rain in may over the bloom, this year not much a bloom at all. Better luck next year

steve

·
Registered
463 Posts
Ditto. I got permission to put a hive in palmetto scrub in Pasco County, and was excited. Not much happening. It was a swarm from April- soo little build up I'm probably going to bring it home and feed feed feed. Drew, we've got two acres in Bakersville- hadn't seen any palmetto bloom there either.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The Palmetto Gods got us again! So short of a bloom coupled with those Love Bugs, brought to us by The University of Florida, seemed to make this years crop very limited.
I do have a few hives out in the swampy marsh, and they are loaded with what I call swamp flower gold. I placed ten hives in this reptile infested area and they are really filling the supers. Plan on pulling the honey in mid august and get ready for the pepper flow.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I have lived in North East Florida my whole life. I have not been able to see any rime or reason to the Saw Palmetto blooms. I have saw them try to bloom in the middle of winter. Even if they do bloom it seems like only a few go on to make the berries. Early hunting season is always good when we do manage to make Palmetto berries but, it seems like the stars have to line up just right for that to happen.

The big palm trees are trying to bloom now I'm hoping they can get a little bit from them, cause nothing else is givig up anything right now.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well thanks my fellow Floridians. Better luck next year indeed. I think the Fall Bloom will finish topping us off nicely.

Thanks

-Drew

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Johng:

The Palm trees on the other hand are blooming like bandits, across the bridge @ Racetrack RD. and 13. Seen them around town the same way.

Drew

·
Registered
106 Posts
Johng:

The Palm trees on the other hand are blooming like bandits, across the bridge @ Racetrack RD. and 13. Seen them around town the same way.

Drew
I live in Sebring, FL, and my neighbor's royal palm just started blooming and my bees are all over it. Personally, I hate palms because they are so trashy and in fact just dug two small ones up this morning, but when they are in bloom my bees love them. I am watching some others within a 1/2 mile of my bees and am hoping they began blooming as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts