Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went through about 15 hives today and saw the first new wax of the season in the strongest hives. So things should begin picking up soon.

Are others seeing it now in their hives too?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mine are making new comb, several frames of brood, bringing in pollen for a while now. If I can keep em from swarming, I might get some honey for myself this year:)

·
Registered
202 Posts
I,ve had new comb for a month. They built burr comb between my inner cover and the last frames because I let them run out of room and she laid drone brood in it. I had a shim for patties. Lesson learned. This hive is exploding.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I saw them starting this over the weekend, but it was a little too cold for me to get in and get my candy spacer off. I snuck out of work early today to get in and found this! :eek:

There was a huge mass of bees laddering on the underside of the inner cover (there was comb there too), and after inspecting the hive I saw this pretty lady in there right as I was about to shake them back in...

I was going to make my own thread for this, but I figure I can just toss it out here. Based on the cell size of the burr comb I suspect she's wanting to lay some drones. I took out an empty frame and threw in a new foundationless one to give them something to do during the rain tomorrow. I hate to take all that beautiful clean wax out, so if I crushed it and put it above the inner cover would they use it elsewhere in the hive? (Specifically in the big empty space between two brood combs that I gave them today?)

Thanks,
Brandon

·
Registered
37 Posts
lol.. same thing here with the shims. took the patties off, they had shb larva in them. bees seem to be bringing in a fair amount of pollen and have pollen from last year (judging by the color). Also have a lot of capped drone.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
I am new but I think they will but maybe put it on top of the frames….

1 - 6 of 6 Posts