I'm a first year beek with 2 hives that I'm trying to get established. I've had some shb in both hives, and had installed some beetle blaster traps last week that seem to be doing a good job trapping the little buggers.
Inspecting the hives yesterday, I saw one varroa mite on the back of a worker. Coincidentally I had just made a batch of grease patties with lemongrass and spearmint oils the day before and I placed a patty in each hive when doing the inspection.
I realize that pests are part of beekeeping, and one mite is probably not the end of the world, but I was wondering to what extent I should or should not freak out at this point.
I was also planning on making some track strips in the entrances, using beeswax, canola oil and spearmint oil to help kill the mites as the bees enter the hive.
Let me know what you think.