Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i am green when it comes to beekeeping but i will be darn if i am gonna sit back and let bees get exterminated by the exterminator. Talked to a guy today that was destroying a hive in the eaves of a house. I explained to him that not all of the hive needed to be destroyed. If we can save a few hundred, thousand bees that they would be able to start a new queen(well that sounded good, he bought it, now I am wondering if what I said is possible). My question is if there are no eggs in a frame, how do the bees make a queen or do you buy the queen in hopes that the workers will take to her. What is the best remedy for me to go about this, any help will be appreciated. cheers

·
Registered
371 Posts
I get a lot of questions about why to save the honey bees. I let the person know that the honey bee is responsible for pollinating about 35% of everything the person eats and that they pose no health threat to them or their family, if they keep there distance from the hive. After I believe that the homeowner and I are on the same page, I offer to remove the colony for them and they are usually happy that they dont have to get near the stinging little demons!:D I tell them that I am not going to kill them, but I will take them home and put them in a hive and let them prosper. I then cut the hive out, comb, honey, brood and all, and let the homeowner fix the damage. I rubberband the brood combs into frames and let the bees decide if they need a queen or not.

Some homeowners dont get the point and go ahead and spray and kill the bees anyways, but I cant force them to let me have the bees. :rolleyes:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts