Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that we're into the month of May, I was wondering if anyone had any comments on how their Saskatraz queens were doing this spring?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I direct installed two from packages on 5/4, checked today and they are both laying eggs. Seemed ok off the start, but still early. I'm a first year and still learning, so take my comment with that in mind.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
My overwintered ones had two or three frames laid up when i checked in the beginning of april. all capped. I was shocked. A little too early imo. Eve now back to cold and they are like freight trains. Prepping equipment to start making splits as they will be busting the boxes after dandelions.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had to replace one yesterday due to attitude. I had worked bees all day and they all were fine. When I came to this hive, as soon as I cracked the lid they were all over me. All in all I don't see that they are any better than most. I made 210 nuc's 17 days ago with Sam Comfort queens. Out of 210 only three were not accepted, and I had to pull brood from 4 already because they were packed full of brood. I started with two drawn frames and three foundation. Granted new nuc's are different than overwintered double deeps, but I worked the nuc's in a t shirt and no veil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts