Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is like 5 queen cells present no matter what, very little brood and honey.

It should have been a super bee

·
Registered
671 Posts
I just bought 6 OHB saskatraz queens, a couple of the splits tried to supercede them, I just cut them out and they quit, one isn't doing the greatest, I think its syrup bound, I ordered an extractor to spin some out, some of the new brood are almost black looking. I like em, hoping they do good over winter.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,529 Posts
There is like 5 queen cells present no matter what, very little brood and honey.

It should have been a super bee
the bees may know something, if the queens are not "optimal" let them be replaced.

Or the bees you placed the queens in are not "Saskatraz" and the pheromones are not what they want so they are trying to replace.
As the bees hatching become the Saskatraz kind then this should slow down.

If the brood is not optimal, and you have some resources maybe pull some frames with cells, let them hatch and see what they do, if they do well pinch the original and replace with the new daughters, with a simple newspaper combine.

I have never had good luck getting purchased queens to make the winter. I "try" not to buy any and try to have my own daughters make the winter attempt, however in norther michigan winters are the big test.

go with your gut feel, Q cells are a message, you just need to decipher it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts