Registered
6a 3rd yr 5 production hives 1/ 2 q resource hive
467 Posts

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
I suppose everybody has seen this:
https://www.beeculture.com/sam-comfort/

The 13x13x6 "shallow warre" is actually quite interesting set-up. There is probably no hive easier/cheaper to make.
I have been ranting about this "shallow warre" forever.
Quickly growing and popular trend in Russia/Ukraine.
I see it becoming one of the standards soon.

Juhany, of all people on BS, you can just order yourself ready-to-go setups from Ukraine/Russia.
Today.
Probably cheaply too.
Probably can just go and get the hives yourself even (if there are manufacturers in St. Petersburg area - I did not bother looking).
I am almost surprised with you still NOT having it done.
:)

https://www.google.com/search?q=уле...h-XlAhUKbawKHbwjChsQ_AUIEigC&biw=1920&bih=938

·
Registered
765 Posts
I think Sam's shallow warre type hive is a great alternative to langstroth. The shallow boxes are good for his queen rearing. Personally I'd use a 1x8 or 1x10 depth box if honey production was my goal. Although nuc sales would be lost package sales could be done. Going this route for a newer beekeeper would save $100 if not $1000's of dollars in equipment. With a way quicker return on investment. Unfortunately for me I've been doing langstroth for so long unloading all my equipment and converting over would be difficult. But if I was starting fresh I'd give it serious thought....

·
Registered
5,042 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Seriously if I were to try them I'd probably go for it. I would require probably 100 boxes straight off. With at least another 100- 200 after. That's what I'd be looking at for initial conversion.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Seriously if I were to try them I'd probably go for it. I would require probably 100 boxes straight off. With at least another 100- 200 after. That's what I'd be looking at for initial conversion.
If you run 10-frame Langs - those convert easily - you basically switch them to run the frames the short way.
Cut/re-nail the boxes square - done.
Nail inside the frame supports - done.
I have done something similar here with the 10-frame boxes.
Of course, I have a small scale to play with; also would rather build the proper boxes from the start (not Lang-retrofits).

The real issue - the frames of the new format - have to cut them yourself for now.

Now, if you into 8-frame Langs - that's different.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Just chatted with Tucka Saville ( she works at French hill apiaries for M. Palmer as a queen catcher). She uses the modified warre hives already. Lives 30 minutes north of me and has sourced me rough 1x6 or 1x8 lumber. No need to chop lang boxes. I have no plans to use frames just bars possibly bamboo skewers as sam does if they can hold the extra 2 inches of weight.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
From Sam's Instagram
Mysteries of the #Comforthive Explained
A box hive inspired by Warre, Quinby, and Bevan. From the top down:
- 18" x 18" tile, or plywood, roofing, etc.
- Top feeder- quart deli containers with 6 holes, can fit 4 qts in empty box above
- Reflectix (x3 for winter) $0.36 -
Internal dimensions 11" x 11" x 6", made of rough cut pine 1" x 6".
Stapled bar rest 5/16".
8 bamboo skewers (5 mm) cut to 11" and spaced 1 1/4".
Entrances 7/8" (add 1/2" screen for winter).
Removable 26 gauge sheet metal divider 6" x 11"
$0.80 lumber, $0.28 skewers, $1.40 sheet metal
- Screen bottom board with 5/16" bee space $0.70 screen
- Reflectix bottom $0.36
- Stand- milk crate, cinder blocks, pallets, etc.
Makes 2 mating nucs = around $1.95 per nuc #youcandoit
Not sure were one buys 4' of 1x6 for $0.80.....

notes from other places
The boxs are put together with a single screw per side to alow them to settle in to each outer and form a good seal
pay atention to your grain and set it so when it warps, it warps so the the board top/bottom ends bend in to the box so your bars stay on the rests
dtew4.jpg
the divider goes in threw a break in the bar rests

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
"Mysteries of the #Comforthive Explained
A box hive inspired by Warre, Quinby, and Bevan. From the top down:
- 18" x 18" tile, or plywood, roofing, etc.
- Top feeder- quart deli containers with 6 holes, can fit 4 qts in empty box above
- Reflectix (x3 for winter) $0.36 -
Internal dimensions 11" x 11" x 6", made of rough cut pine 1" x 6"."

Why make it just slightly different than Warre, which has 300 mm inside dimensions (12 ") ?

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
pay atention to your grain and set it so when it warps, it warps so the the board top/bottom ends bend in to the box so your bars stay on the rests
View attachment 52395
Side note...In this drawing, the board is cupping toward the center of the tree. See the growth rings. Boards always cup away from the center of the tree. Alwayc construct the boxes with center of the tree on the outside.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Side note...In this drawing, the board is cupping toward the center of the tree. See the growth rings. Boards always cup away from the center of the tree. Alwayc construct the boxes with center of the tree on the outside.
Good catch Michael: Msl's advice is correct but the photo is wrong. To remember how it goes, think this: "Don't put your heart inside a box of pine"

Really important too when doing "board and batten siding".

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
This way of construction prevents many issues discussed here.
Importantly - the screws almost ALWAYS hold, don't get pulled out with the "meat" (thus preventing the wood from warping) - guess why.

Я-и-рогатый11.jpg

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Why make it just slightly different than Warre, which has 300 mm inside dimensions (12 ") ?
going to guess it was to eliminate waist, the boards are cut at 12"

Msl's advice is correct but the photo is wrong
HA! it was late and I grabbed the 1st picture that popped on google, woops :pinch:

21 - 38 of 38 Posts