Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to feed my hives after the deep freeze had subsided. Both are gone. I am going to keep trying and want to know about reusing the drawn frames in the hives. One hive was two years old, the other one year, started from a swarm from the first.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
>As long as the cold got to them . . .
I'll bet it was not the cold, but some other reason (lack of food, too few bees, etc) the colony died.

·
Registered
359 Posts
You need to protect your drawn comb. stack your hive bodies with the frames in theme inside (garage, shed etc.) put a paper plate on the top bars of the top body on the stack. Pour several tbsp. of moth crystals on the plate. Put the top telescoping cover on. Also plug the bottom entrance. This will keep mice and wax moths from destroying your drawn comb. When getting ready to use again, air out for a few days before giving to bees.

The bees will clean the combs.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
If I don't keep them outside in the cold or in my cold barn, I spray the comb with BT, put them back in the boxes and re-use them when needed.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
If I don't keep them outside in the cold or in my cold barn, I spray the comb with BT, put them back in the boxes and re-use them when needed.
BT is the way I go also. Moth Balls of either type seem to be "not so good," from what I recall reading here on Beesource.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
OK but is it a spray? Does it affect the frames/the bees? What is a price comparison? Since I am a teenager I dont have a whole lot of money to spend.
Mike

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
Sorry. I should have expanded that a bit.

It's not expensive and a little goes a long way. It comes in powder form. Here's how I use it.

In the fall when I pull honey, I give the frames back to the bees to clean up. A couple days later, I take the cleaned frames off the hives, bring them all into the barn and stack the supers up. I mix some Xentari with water in a spray bottle or in a pump sprayer depending on how many frames I'll be working. The instructions for mixing the powder come with the product. I take an empty super and set it to the side. I then take each frame, spray both sides with the solution and place the treated frame in the empty super. I then move to the next super using the one I just emptied to receive the treated frames. I let them all dry a bit and then stack them upstairs in the barn.

The solution is a natural one. The dried solution affects wax moth larvae...not the moth itself. I only mix enough to treat what is ready to be stored. The powder holds up a long time though.

Between the spray and the cold temps in the barn, I've never had comb destroyed by wax moths.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more info!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts