Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the research i have been looking at, it appears the Sakatraz bees that are being sold today are not the same ones that were developed about 8 t0 10 years ago. Then they used a cross between some bees in Saskatchewan, German bees and Russian bees. Today with the Sakatraz bees being produced in California, and it appears, mass produced, that the queens are also being crossed with Italians. What are some of your thoughts on this? Thanks, OLD KENTUCKY

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
I followed saskatraz bees from inception of the project. Basically commercial beekeepers seeking a better saskatchewan queen selected the best from their overwintered queens and crossed them with the old mraz line and selected the best commercial types. Temperment and color were highly variable. I tried to buy some early on but I had no need for the 50 queen minimum order. Now they are readily available. My nephew is running them and likes them. Probably not good hobbyist bees.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I followed saskatraz bees from inception of the project. Basically commercial beekeepers seeking a better saskatchewan queen selected the best from their overwintered queens and crossed them with the old mraz line and selected the best commercial types. Temperment and color were highly variable. I tried to buy some early on but I had no need for the 50 queen minimum order. Now they are readily available. My nephew is running them and likes them. Probably not good hobbyist bees.
Sirl, why do you say, Not a good hobbyist bee?" I have had bees for the last 20 years, and many years ago, I helped my Grandpa. That was when people kept bees in a "Bee Gum." Then there were no varroa mites, trachea mites, Hive beetles, etc. Times have changed, but I still love working with them. I was an Air Force Pilot during Viet Namn, and retired after 30 years with Northwest Airlines as a Boeing 747 Captain, 26 years ago. I needed something to do to keep me busy, and bees are my choice. Thanks very much for your reply.
OLD KENTUCKY

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Vance - You say a cross with Mraz bees out of Vermont area? We went to visit him in the 70's, and my father said they where "Too Mean" No wonder the temperament is questionable. Mr. Mraz on the other hand was quite friendly.

Crazy Roland

1 - 4 of 4 Posts