Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first spring with over-wintered hives. Cherry (fruit & ornamental), pears, maple (big leaf, red & silver), magnolias, dandelions and a bunch if stuff I am not familiar with are all blooming. Am I safe to stop feeding 1 to 1? If it matters, temps are averaging 40-45 at night and 60-70 days.

·
Registered
848 Posts
With all of that blooming & the temp's being that high,I would say yes,Have you noticed that they are not taking as much of the feed that you are giving them? If they are not taking as much then that is a sure sigh.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They're still taking it ok but since I switched to medium boxes this spring I'm throwing foundationless frames at them to draw out. I'd rather have them build from natural nectar if possible, just don't want to pull the plug early and risk starvation as they have no capped stores yet.

·
Registered
8,183 Posts
Feed til they have two mediums at least of capped stores. If they drop below that number, feed some more. Your wish for them to build comb from natural nectar is commendable in the style points universe, but the bees don't really mind using sugar.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Its function of what is currently in the hive. No stores=feed, couple frames of nectar/honey/brood=no feed

I havn't fed syrup this spring, im sure they would have taken it though, we have plenty of natural stuff available, most hives had winter left-overs. Feeding to much in spring can iniate swarming.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Feed til they have two mediums at least of capped stores. If they drop below that number, feed some more. Your wish for them to build comb from natural nectar is commendable in the style points universe, but the bees don't really mind using sugar.
Thanks Vance I appreciate the advice. For clarification purposes...do you mean feed till they have two medium frames or whole boxes (20) frames?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts