Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attending a local beek assoc get-together yesterday, I heard an old-time beek say that now wouldn't be too early to put traps out -- although this is Feb and eastern NC (we can get sub-freezes into April; snows/ice in March, too). I didn't have the chance to ask him about specifics. Were I to nab a swarm this early, wouldn't there be an issue when/if cold weather returns? Lately the days have been in the low 70's and nights in the 40's-50's -- with at least another week of that to come. Little chance of catching a swarm now anyway? If I snared one, would lots of feeding be enough to keep the colony viable?

Ideas? Warnings? Advice? Thanks for any feedback ....

·
Registered
737 Posts
I heard an old-time beek say that now wouldn't be too early to put traps out

This is the best advice you could get.
If you get a swarm almost any time you will have to feed, feed, feed.
I will be starting to place traps today in SW Missouri.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Mayhaps his mindset is not the hives swarming early, but having the boxes in place for the scout bees to find when it does become time.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Mayhaps his mindset is not the hives swarming early, but having the boxes in place for the scout bees to find when it does become time.
+1 I live in the northern panhandle of WV zone 5b. Mine will be out in a month from now for this very reason. Better to put them out to early rather than to late.

·
Registered
764 Posts
That's what I figured too, I put mine out last week in Atlanta

1 - 5 of 5 Posts