Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love to know if there is a safe mosquito repellent to wear when working the bees. I'm wondering about the deet based products.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
As I understand it, DEET is a repellent, not a poison.

I sometimes use DEET mosquito spray on my ankles so the bees won't sting me through my socks.

I wear a full jumpsuit and the only spot they can get me is the ankles. Usually the bees are not hot enough to go after my ankles, but some days they are just in a tough mood.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Troy. I thought deet might work. It can be very hot here in TX at times. I work the bees with as little as possible, if they are gentle. But those "no-see-thems" and mosquitoes can be bad.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I use deet products when the mosquitos are bad but enough smoke in the area from the smoker works well also. I've noticed sometimes the deet seems to make the bees more agressive.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
It might be that it makes them more defensive, but I don't usually put it on until I've been stung a couple times and so I wouldn't notice if the DEET made any difference - they are already angry at that point.

·
Banned
840 Posts
there is an insect repellent that is a beeswax based lotion with specific essential oils and other herbal ingredients. I have used it myself and it works well in my mosquito infested forest bee yard.

To be honest, it is one of the products I sell at my Bee Market, so if you would like more specific information, feel free to pm me.

Big Bear

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I spray my legs before i go work the hives as I usually wear shorts. I use deepwoods off. The nosee-ums are rough down here sometimes, skeeters can be really bad too!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts