Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, a question on sac brood....I have a hive that I did a newspaper combine on June 15....on June 27 nice brood pattern, saw open brood, nectar, and pollen. Not a lot of capped honey. Did not see queen either. Went in today, and saw what I think is sacbrood; compared this to pics I have. According to what I have read I need to requeen. I did see capped brood, but was upset at this turn of events and can't remember if I saw any larva (and did not see queen). This hive is small and has had a rocky start since coming out of winter (it was a laying worker hive). Will freezing the frame that has the virus sacbrood on it kill the virus and make the frame reusable? And could I reuse the other frames in the hive? Thanks for any information.
Debbie

·
Registered
116 Posts
From what I read requeening serves as a brood break and gives the house bee's a chance to clean up and get new genics that might be more resistant to the virus ,so in my mind I would say the frames would be fine

·
Premium Member
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just spoke with a long time beekeeper and he gave me good advice...I am so fed up with this hive I feel like dumping it...but I won't :) I didn't want to buy a queen again but I will; since it is just one frame I think I'll scrape it and put it back along with a new queen. Thanks for answering! Deb

·
Premium Member
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For my learnig what was his advice
Hi, what you said and what Michael P. said above. Joe also told me I could get rid of the frame since the hive is so small. I will requeen it. Thanks for the name Michael Palmer. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts