Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4ish langstrom hives
1,645 Posts
I started keeping bees 10 months ago. I've gotten all of my colonies and a split through winter so far. If you need any advice on bee keeping, just pm me. I have this hobby licked.
How about a direct question?

How do I revive a dead queen after accidentally squishing her

(I am joking)

·
Registered
4ish langstrom hives
1,645 Posts
Because random tangents on posts seem to be a "thing".
Substantial literature on Ethanol and Honeybees. The slide is snipped from one of my lectures.
Ethanol and Honeybee research quantifies a behavior called "upside down". This is when the bee lies on its back waving its legs in the air like some gutter drunk. About half the bees that go "upside down" succumb. Ethanol is adversive to bees, but they can be tricked into consuming it by spiking the punch with sugar syrup. View attachment 67072
Does getting a bee drunk accomplish anything or what was the idea that lead to this experiment?

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Does getting a bee drunk accomplish anything or what was the idea that lead to this experiment?
There is an extensive literature on ethanol and honeybees (and other insects such as fruit flies). Ethanol affects learning, memory, social behavior, and aggression in bees. The core question in the paper I highlighted was why bees overcome their adversion to Ethanol when mixed with a sucrose reward.

Ethanol is also ubiquitous in some plant fruits, and looking at the ways insects accomodate to its prescence the subject of further research.

·
Registered
368 Posts
There is an extensive literature on ethanol and honeybees (and other insects such as fruit flies). Ethanol affects learning, memory, social behavior, and aggression in bees. The core question in the paper I highlighted was why bees overcome their adversion to Ethanol when mixed with a sucrose reward.

Ethanol is also ubiquitous in some plant fruits, and looking at the ways insects accomodate to its prescence the subject of further research.
Viburnum berries ferment naturally. They taste pretty good when they are semifrozen in the winter, and don't amount to enough alcohol to affect judgement, cognition, or motor function. For humans. Birds that get into them tend to fly sideways.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts