Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was advised by a fellow beekeeper that the Russian bees do not take pollen substitutes. I am expecting two packages in April and have not had any experience with the Russian bees. I am wondering if anyone has had success and what products/methods worked and those that didn't. Any advise is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I feed my Russians MEGABEE and they eat a lot of it. Put it right on top of the brood nest as advised.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I was advised by a fellow beekeeper that the Russian bees do not take pollen substitutes. I am expecting two packages in April and have not had any experience with the Russian bees. I am wondering if anyone has had success and what products/methods worked and those that didn't. Any advise is appreciated.
The Russians are a good breed and they have their place in the industry.
They respond rapidly to a pollen or nectal dearth.
Their winter cluster may give you some concern.
They like to make emergency queen cell cups.
They are a gentle bee to work with and they make good comb. I have never had a russian queen, even a 3rd generation open bred queen. that did not make good straight comb on Pierco plastic frames!
Enjoy them and give the queens plenty of brood room.
As far as pollination goes, almonds, they do not stand up to the Italians because of their slowness to build big clusters of bees. Almond growers pay for the frame count.
You will need to do IPM for Varroa mite control.
Ernie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts